WLPG Sparks (Chicago): the unexpected is a collaborative project between Write Local. Play Global, the international TYA playwright’s network, and Theatre for Young Audiences/USA toward the creation of original 500 word monologues on the theme of what happens at an unexpected moment of opportunity. The selected pieces will be read by the playwrights at the One Theatre World Festival which will be held from May 7-9, 2015 hosted by The Theatre School at DePaul University in Chicago.
Playwrights should use the following 'prompt' as a starting point:
Most of us tend to operate in regular and predictable ways – both in our day-to-day routines, as well as in the overall arcs of our lives. Use as a starting point a moment at which the speaker encounters the opportunity to do something daring, audacious or adventurous. Will they act on that opportunity? Do they dare? What are the chances of success? What are the consequences of failure? Monologues should be no longer than 500 words, including stage directions
Monologues must be written for children or young people.
Submissions should be in the first language of the playwright and, if that language is not English, should be accompanied by an English translation
Monologues must be a maximum of 500 words, including stage directions. The word limit does not include the title of the monologue, the name of the author or a short description setting the scene.
Example of ‘setting of the scene’:
Time: the present
Location: a small hut in the mountains
Character: Fredrick, a mid-40s train conductor
- Approximately twelve monologues will be selected to be read.
- All scripts will be read by a screening committee, with final choices made by a committee whose members shall include one of the Write Local. Play Global. editors, a representative of the festival planning committee, and a playwright.
- Preference will be given to emerging or up-and-coming writers.
- Preference will be given to writers who will be in attendance at the event. Unfortunately, neither Write Local. Play Global. nor TYA/USA is able to provide financial support for attendance.
- Writers are encouraged to submit even if they know they cannot attend, as some scripts from writers not in attendance will be selected and read by either actors or other playwrights.
- During the festival, scripts will be read in English. If written in a language other than English, the working language of Write Local. Play Global. please submit an English translation, both for the purposes of adjudication as well as to be read.
- Selected writers agree that their photos and scripts (as downloadable PDFs) can be posted on the Write Local. Play Global. website after the festival.
To submit, fill out the form at the One Theatre World web site at tyausa.org/programs/one-theatre-world/wlpg. You will be asked to:
· Provide Author and Monologue information.
· Attach one PDF (preferred) or Word copy of the monologue with identifying information of the author. Title the document “NameOfMonologue_NameOfAuthor.pdf”.
· Attach one PDF (preferred) or Word copy of the script without identifying information of author. Title the document “NameOfMonologue.pdf”.
· Provide a short (200 word-max) biography of the playwright.
Submissions must be received by February 27, 2015. Decisions will be made by March 13, 2015.
Applications will only be accepted from playwrights who are members of the WLPG network. Luckily, it’s easy to become a member, and there is no charge. Please go to www.writelocalplayglobal.org and click on ‘join us’ at the top of the page.